When you run into Sharifa Murdock at an event—say, Men’s Fashion Week, or Liberty Fairs, the menswear trade show she co-founded with partner Sam Ben-Avraham—you expect disruptions. A lot of them. That’s because Murdock is one of those people who seems to know everyone, and not only that, she likes them all, too (not always a given in the fashion industry). Oh, and she’s a hugger.
I sat down with Murdock at the Liberty Fairs office in NYC’s Soho neighborhood, a low-lit, modern work space shared with cool guy sneaker brand KITH for the latest episode of Style Girlfriend’s podcast, Undressed. We discussed how she got in the business, how to succeed as a woman in menswear, and how her husband’s fashion game has improved since they met (hint: it wasn’t anything she did).
Be on the lookout for these interview highlights:
- 3:05 – Find out Sharifa’s first job
- 4:35 – How Sharifa ended up in fashion
- 9:15 – What is a trade show?
- 14:14 – How do fashion and personal style differ?
- 14:47 – How Sharifa convinces a guy to care about what he’s wearing
- 19:12 – What Sharifa wishes more guys knew about fashion
- 20:10 – Key pieces in a man’s closet
- 27:22 – Sharifa shares her Million Bucks Moment