15 Reasons to Kick Start Your Style
Cary Grant looking sharp as always (image: Mark Shaw via GQ)
Usually, I’m here dispensing tips, tricks, and shortcuts to becoming a more stylish man. While that’s (hopefully) all well and good, it’s useful to sometimes take a step back for a reminder about what all this fuss is for. After all, dressing well does take more effort than blindly reaching into your closet each morning and pulling out the least smelly top and bottom. Is it worth it?
To arguments of, “But my jeans are so comfortable!” and “No one dresses up anymore!” I say: sure, your broken-in jeans feel good, but so does the feeling of admiring glances when you wear a suit cut just so for your body. As for Casual Friday stretching into Casual Every Single Day Ever, I’d ask, why go along with the herd? It’s more fun to be a well-dressed leader than part of the poorly-dressed pack.
Below are fifteen more reasons why guys should consider starting up their style engines:
- Because great clothes and accessories make great conversation starters. No one will ask you, “Where’d you get that pocket square?” if you never wear a pocket square.
- Because you put in hard work at the gym. Why not show off the results of all those miles logged on the treadmill?
- Because you put in hard work at work. Why not dress like a guy who sits in the corner office if that’s where you want to sit someday?
- Because Ryan Gosling doesn’t have the market on men’s style cornered.
- Because you’ll never improve your style if you don’t try.
- Because a well-made suit shouldn’t waste its life away hidden in the back your closet.
- Because you never know who you’ll run into when you leave the house. Why wouldn’t Olivia Munn frequent your local drugstore?
- Because a casual workplace is no excuse for sloppy work, and it shouldn’t be an excuse for sloppy clothes.
- Because a pretty girl giving you the once-over feels pretty damn great.
- Because your clothes make a statement about who you are. Dressing like you don’t care about your appearance makes people wonder what else you don’t care about.
- Because your boss may wonder if you’re interviewing for a new job and finally give you that raise you deserve.
- Because it’s good for your self-esteem. Dressing with intention forces you to develop the confidence needed to stand out in a crowd.
- Because style isn’t a zero-sum game. Just because dressing well is your friend/brother/boss’s “thing” doesn’t mean it can’t be yours too. After all, you’re all allowed to like baseball, right?
- Because if you’re ever invited to the White House, you’ll have just the thing to wear.
- Because that feeling you get when you see your wife or girlfriend gets extra dolled up for a big date? She feels the same way when she sees you all dressed up too.