A glass-half-full kind of gal, I’ve always been an optimist. And that extends to travel.
I always try to look put-together while traveling because, well, you never know who you might sit next to at the airport bar!
That means: I put on makeup, brush my hair and dress like an adult for planes, trains…even the occasional Megabus.
My goal is to be mistaken for a celebrity you see photographed in one of those paparazzi picture roundups in a glossy magazine:
Elegant, on-point, and stylish AF.
Whether or not you’re looking for love while traveling, the universal truth about traveling well is that we (you, me, men, women, the world!) want to feel comfortable and look presentable.
After years of perfecting a go-to travel uniform and carry-on, I am ready to share my tips and tricks.
The best part? My go-to outfit and travel essentials have great-looking menswear equivalents.
Pants with an elastic waist? Check.
Cotton top? Check.
Slip-on kicks? Obviously.
Below, check out 8 travel essentials for stylish guys:
Here’s what to wear/bring/pack in case you sit next to me and we fall in love.
And what to have on hand in case you don’t and things get dire…
1. AN ALMOST EMBARRASSINGLY SOFT T-SHIRT
The first travel essential is a piece of clothing you will want to wear even when you’re not leaving the house!
Get ready to throw around the words “so f*cking soft” when wearing this Taylor Stitch tee.
Like, it’s so soft.
That’s why this t-shirt (and suitable subs!) ranks number one in my list of stylish travel essentials for guys on the go.
Shop more #SGapproved tees:
2. EASY-ON/EASY-OFF SHOES
Birkenstocks are back in a big way, and with good reason.
They’re a footwear icon, and depending on the style can go as trendy or classic as you are. I like this shearling pair for extra-coziness when you’re on the go.
Obviously wear them with socks for the TSA line. Try a fun-yet-stylish pair like these!
Shop more #SGapproved slip-ons:
3. COMFY PANTS THAT STILL LOOK REALLY GOOD
Do not, under any circumstances travel in shorts, please. It’s not a good look and, like, think of all the butts and thighs that have come before you to splay themselves on that seat.
I have it on good authority (aka my well-dressed friend Jerry) that these pants are the bomb and they even look slick enough to wear out to a meal upon arrival at your destination.
Shop more #SGapproved joggers:
- Greyson Montauk joggers, $145 (technically golf pants but seriously, you’re going to want to wear ’em everywhere)
- Old Navy, $29
4. SOCKS BECAUSE YOU CAN’T BE BAREFOOT AT SECURITY
For airport travel especially, socks are a must.
Yes, even if you’re TSA pre-check! You never know when you’re going to get selected for a random check after all.
Team SG loves this three-pack of tall Pair of Thieves socks for guys who want options (but not too many).
5. A CARRY-ON WITH ALL THE HANDLES AND MANY POCKETS
Even if you’re bringing a rolling carry-on, I know you want to pack as much stuff as possible onto your person.
The virtually indestructible and crazy-affordable Everlane weekender bag is great for basically getting away with an additional carry-on for the plane.
This bag can be carried by hand or over your shoulder, which makes it perfect for stuffing into the overhead bin or the trunk of the car.
Plus, it has an outside pocket for those bits and bobs you need close at hand which I love.
Shop more #SGapproved bags:
6. HEADPHONES YOU CAN’T LOSE
I’m deathly afraid of dropping an Airpod into a plane crevice and it being gone forever.
So when I travel, I pack my Airpods Max headphones to ensure my podcast listening goes uninterrupted while I’m tossing my bags here and there and getting settled in my seat.
They’re also great for blocking noisy seatmates, making for a worthy investment.
7. A “TRAVEL ONLY” PHONE CASE
Let your outerwear pull double duty. Obvs you can wear it if the plane is chilly. But it also doubles as a pillow in a pinch.
Sorry, but you’re never going to find one of those neck pillows here. I don’t care how functional they are; they’re not #SGapproved.
8. THE JUST-IN-CASE COCKTAIL KIT
Okay, so I know these expensive little kits have been on virtually every gift guide and travel blog ever, but I’m going to justify the inclusion here with two thoughts:
The first is that there’s never a bad time for an Old Fashioned.
And the second is that you can save this for when you sit next to someone great (like me!) and want an excuse to chat them up.
Not a drinker? Treat yourself to a bevvy you love while waiting for your flight to board.
Okay, okay, and a few more travel essentials that aren’t exactly stylish but definitely necessary if you’re traveling especially long distances:
Tip – Unless it comes packaged in plastic, do NOT use the airline-provided blankets. They are the biggest germ-spreaders.
2. A cashmere sweater upgrades the style quotient of the most simple of travel outfits, and keeps you blissfully comfortable even in hour 10 of traveling through the clouds.
4. Block light and prevent that “smushed eyeball” feeling with this raised eye mask.
5. Catch up on all the books you meant to read this year on a Kindle – perfect when the movie selections are less than stellar and/or the lights are dimmed and you don’t want to bug your neighbor with a glowing iPad.
6. Spritz this spray on your face and neck – early and often – to keep your skin hydrated and happy. Yes, it feels bougie to pack face mist, but it’s worth it. Promise.
7. Keep swollen ankles at bay with compression socks. Yes, really.
8. Airplane food is…not great. Pack a few healthy snacks to keep hanger (aka, hunger-induced anger) at bay.
Tip – Eat a hearty meal at the airport, and bring a bottle of water on the plane. Those little cups they hand out aren’t going to keep you hydrated.
9. Sanitizing wipes to wipe down your bag and laptop (after security) and arm rest and tray table once you’re in your set.
10. These mini-toothbrushes are a lifesaver for post-travel freshening up.
Ready to upgrade your on-the-go wardrobe?
Clothes make you feel like a million bucks no matter where you’re headed jump starts your confidence, but shopping for them? That can be a pain.
If you’re ready to invest in some new clothes for your wardrobe but dread the thought of shopping for them…consider having Team SG shop for you!
We can curate an online shopping list just for you that fits your budget, your body type, and your lifestyle.
Let us rescue you from shopping fatigue and sartorial apathy. You’ll receive personal attention and care that will make you feel like the best version of the awesome guy you already are!
Ready to seriously improve your closet and your confidence? Learn more here.