Undressed Episode 026: Deborah Hanekamp of Mama Medicine
“Sorry, I’ve gotta run. I have to buy these crystals before the Packers game.”
That was me, giving the most unlikely of phone conversation signoffs back in January.
A day earlier, I’d gone to see Deborah Hanekamp, aka Mama Medicine for a ritual “medicine reading” that included a seriously spot-on observation of my current mental and emotional state the second I sat down across from her – somewhat awkwardly – cross-legged on the floor. Hanekamp is a “seeress,” with over sixteen years experience in the healing arts, including training as an Amazonian Shaman, Reiki Master and yogini.
I’d discovered Hanekamp while googling aura readings. I had a feeling mine was a little off since…oh, let’s call it November. Early November. I’m all for therapy, meditation, regular dates with my chiropractor and acupuncturist. So I’m always down to dip my toe into a new method of ‘just trying to get by in this crazy world.’
With the most beautiful eyebrows I’d ever seen, and a demeanor that can only be described as beatific, I listened as Hanekamp unraveled some crazy personal things about myself that, she told me, she intuited from my aura, still solid despite recent societal upheavals (woohoo!).
After a sound therapy experience that left me feeling strangely grounded yet euphoric, she assigned me “homework” of a ritual bath that involved dunking myself along with quartz crystals, eucalyptus leaves (those were next on my list), epsom salt, and a special chant just for me. And no, I’m not going to tell you what it was.
Today on Undressed, a conversation with “Mama Medicine” herself, Deborah Hanekamp. I asked her opinion on all kinds of alternative therapies, because I know you’re curious too (but would probably never ask), so I did it for you!
Listen to the latest episode of Undressed featuring Deborah Hanekamp of Mama Medicine here, and check out the highlights below:
- 1:10 – On finding new ways to feel focused and centered online
- 05:01 – What is a seeress, explained by seeress’ Deborah Hanekamp
- 06: 26 – When did Deborah realized she could read auras (and what are they)
- 10:30 – Skeptical about alternative medicine?
- 12:48 – Bullsh*tmeter on alternative medicine
- 13:08 – The “good for anyone” crystal
- 15: 02 – What does Deborah has to say about the witch biding spell on Trump
- 16:00 – Tarot and astrology, explained in 30 seconds
- 17:14 – It’s impossible to be bad at meditating
- 18:55– Is sound therapy a thing now and what sound is universally zen to everyone?
- 23:54 – Deborah’s first “Million Bucks Moment”
Listen to episode 26 of Undressed featuring Deborah Hanekamp
Don’t forget to subscribe in iTunes, Soundcloud, or Stitcher.
And be sure to check out our sponsor, Evolution of Style. The custom suiting company helped get Style Girlfriend off the ground (listen to the episode for their role in our origin story!), and we couldn’t be more excited to partner with them for Undressed.
(Interested in sponsoring Undressed? E-mail [email protected] for more info)