Over the weekend, I went to a party here in New York and saw no less than four guys wearing turtlenecks! Granted, the theme was Après Ski but still! I took it as vindication that 1) they were all Style Girlfriend readers (though I didn’t ask), and 2) our team has finally convinced the men of the world that it’s time to wear turtlenecks.
We’ve already covered how to wear a turtleneck with more outfits in your winter wardrobe. But when you’re thinking about what to wear with a turtleneck or how to style a turtleneck, what about the epitome of menswear elegance?
That’s right, we’re talking about how to wear a turtleneck with a suit.
Not convinced? Worried it’s a look reserved for only actors or athletes gracing the winter issue of GQ? Or that turtlenecks are no longer in style?
Let me soothe your fears. Yes, turtlenecks are still in style. And actually, it’s so f*cking easy to look great wearing one. You literally don’t even need to know how to tie a tie.
Below, how to style a turtleneck with a suit five ways:
- Turtleneck with a monochromatic suit
- Turtleneck with a double breasted suit
- Mixing earth tones and blues
- Turtleneck with a grey suit
- Turtleneck with a patterned sport coat
Wear a turtleneck and suit in similar colors
SG Says: Our pal Brian Sacawa over at HeSpokeStyle knows the power of a turtleneck and suit combo. The gold accessories pair really nicely with the dark brown suit and dark turtleneck (one thing we cannot endorse here at Team SG is a gold chain over your turtleneck.)
The overall effect is subtle without feeling even a little bit boring.
- The thinner the knit is, the easier it will be to add as a sleek layer with a blazer, a leather jacket, or a wool topcoat.
- Stick to dark colors like black, blue, gray, or burgundy, which will suit fall and winter looks. Something like a black turtleneck with a black suit will be a pretty bold look, but a navy suit with a slightly lighter blue turtleneck will look both timeless and stylish.
- The one (and subjectively only) pitfall of a turtleneck is the task of actually putting it on, so remember style your hair only after you have put on your sweater.
- Take it to the next level of refinement by opting for a double breasted jacket. Mind you, if you’re dressing up this style it’s important that the neck is folded evenly and falls flat.
Wear a turtleneck with a double-breasted suit
SG Says: Leave it to David Beckham to swerve into a more fashion forward turtleneck and suit pairing. Here, he’s got on a double-breasted suit and a turtleneck in a rich holiday party-friendly burnished orange hue.
And that’s really it.
As Esquire‘s Jonathan Evans puts it, “No pocket square. No tie (obviously). No extraneous accessories of any kind, actually. Because the sweater and suit are all you need to make a statement.”
While something like a three piece suit might be a little much with a turtleneck, this is a great way to wear a turtleneck and suit combo in a more formal setting, like to a wedding.
Wear a turtleneck in an earth tone with a blue suit
SG Says: Taking things up a notch, Donald Glover wears a turtleneck in a hue similar to Beckham’s, but pairs his with a brighter blue suit.
RELATED: Want to know how to match colors like a pro? Check out our color primer
Navy and brown look great together, as they’re both earthy, rich tones that fit right in with the fall weather.
Wear a grey turtleneck with a charcoal suit
SG Says: Diego from Dandy in the Bronx shows another monochromatic option when it comes to turtleneck and suit combos.
In this case, shades of grey make for a look that’s all business with a dash of personality (just check out those two-tone dub monks and snazzy lapel pin).
Wear a turtleneck with a patterned sport coat
SG Says: Back to where we started! In this look from Brian from HeSpokeStyle, the suit gets swapped for a sport coat and trousers in contrasting patterns.
Anchored by a camel-colored turtleneck, the whole look feels cohesive, not busy.
// Shop #SGapproved turtlenecks //
Still feeling overwhelmed? SG can help
Want more help selecting your perfect turtleneck?
The team at Style Girlfriend is ready to boost your confidence by building a personalized style plan just for you.